Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Decking the Halls of My Happy Place

 
We are all moved back into our wee house once again.
Each box I unpack and empty is a small victory.
I hate unpacking as much as I hate packing.
But somehow, in the unpacking, a whole lot of Christmas decorating is going on.
I'm compensating for the fact that it's a week before Christmas and I haven't baked a single cookie, wrapped a single gift or written a single card.
But I'm in the Christmas spirit!
 
Thank goodness for a cookie tree decorating kit
bought by thoughtful Aunt Debbie (my sister-in-law).
The kids assembled it last night.
Well, I helped with the assembly, but then stood back and let them go at it with the icing and candy.
Looks just like the sample on the box,
don't you think?
hahahahahaha
I had to keep them from eating the tree right away because it looked so yummy.
I want it to last until Christmas.
It's the perfect centerpiece for the cookie tray.
Now I have to bake cookies.
Thanks Aunt Debbie!
 
I had an epiphany this Christmas.
I always laughed at the psychology mumbo-jumbo about going to your "Happy Place", because I really thought it was bunk, but I have discovered what my Happy Place is and now go there often.
Especially lately, with so much tragedy reported daily on the news.
I don't even have to mention the latest in Connecticut.
I discovered my Happy Place by accident.
About a month ago, I was lying sleepless in bed late one night trying to think about nothing so my brain would shut down and let me rest, and then started thinking about my first visit to Santa.
This was back before shopping malls were enclosed.
Santa's Place was a rather plain trailer with a line starting outside in the cold. 
Being Michigan, it was very c-c-ccold, and I remember huddling with my mom, younger brother and little sister against the December wind as it whistled and whipped around the open mall, cutting though our thick coats and chapping our cheeks and noses.
Then, after a small eternity, one of Santa's elves opened the trailer door and ushered a few of us into his magical sanctuary.
 But, before we got to see the man himself, we had to wait still longer, slowly shuffling the length of the trailer past diaramas of skaters on a glitter sprinkled cardboard pond, past Victorians trimming a Christmas tree while their puppy pulled at the ribbon on a gift under the tree, and past other festive winter scenes involving slow moving mechanical manequins.
The line moved at a snail's pace so we stood before each scene long enough to take in every detail and even get bored with the repetitive movements of the dolls.
It was warm in this wonderland, there was music, twinkling lights and
the Anticipation of Something Exciting.
While I thought about that place in my childhood,
I relaxed, my breathing slowed down and I fell blissfully asleep;
with literally "visions of sugar plums dancing" in my head.
I am holding on to that Happy Place.
It's Scrooge-proof.
Where's your Happy place?


6 comments:

Linda Jo said...

What a yummy cookie tree! You will be lucky if some of that isn't eaten before Tuesday!!!ha! I'm glad you found your happy place. I'm not sure I have one! I'll think about it tho!! Hugs!

~*~Patty S said...

Sounds and looks like great fun was had with decorating that dazzling gingerbread tree!

Sweet memory you shared and good for you coming upon something that works.

I can slip away in my mind to places we've traveled to... recapturing moments/snippets really brings me joy all over again.

When I am creating a collage or making something I am definitely in my happy place too!

Thank you for sharing your Christmas spirit...
it is more challenging some years than others and this year goes without saying.
oxo

Marlynn said...

Hey, girlfriend, happy belated birthday - the 50s are a grand period in its own way. You will love it. It is "freeing" - Sorry I haven't been around, off today and checking in with my buds. You are one strong woman - packing and moving between Thanksgiving and Christmas - holy cow. Wonder Woman does not do you justice! Your attitude, courage, and beauty shine bright! Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Hugs!

Caterina Giglio said...

well, i have been in the studio far too long... moving again? well, i hope you are all settled in for the holidays! x

Unknown said...

I love that! When I can't sleep I wander the rooms and halls of my Grandmother's house from my childhood. She is long gone and the house still stands .... I would love to see it again someday ... But I think my imagination and memories of that place are probably better than the changed reality of it now. I hope the dust has settled after your move .... Have a very Happy New Year .... May it be full of blessed hope and amazing promise! ((((hugs to you))))

Jeanie said...

Just checking in with long overdue Happy New Year wishes! Cheers!