Friday, May 4, 2012

A Casual Gift



I visited with my antiquing friend, Liz last Monday.
May 1.
May Day.
She remembered what day it was and carelessly
snapped off the first bloom from her old fashioned rose bush,
growing just outside her shop.
"Here, 'Happy May Day!'"
Her offering lay on her desk for 3 hours, without water,
as we visited.
"Blah, blah-blah, blah, blah."
Then for another hour in my hot van while I ran errands.
*pant, pant, pant*
By the time I got home,
the one blooming rose was looking a little wilted,
but I resolutely trimmed the stem and stuck it into a small custard cup of water.
I had nothing to lose.
I expected the one bloom to finish wilting and the several buds to go unopen.
But they didn't.
The next day a second bloom had opened and a third was beginning to unfurl.
Liz's casual gesture was lingering and now I've been enjoying it all week.
There's a deep revelation in here somewhere.
Can you see it?

7 comments:

Mosaic Magpie said...

With careful pruning and plenty of nourishment (water in the roses case) we all can bloom. Even when you think your creativity has dried up, with the right inspiration creativity comes right back.
Deb

Unknown said...

Oooo, good one Deb! So true!

~*~Patty S said...

I like what Mosaic Magpie said

of course I like Magpie's in general ;)

That was very sweet of Liz

the rose looks like a bush we have in our side yard...it's an old fashioned rose called Rugosa something ? and it smells like perfect pure rose...


maybe it's called "Apothecary Rose" can't remember

does Liz' have a wonderful scent?

makes me want to go out and cut some...it's almost midnight I think I will wait til tomorrow

nitey nite
oxo

Unknown said...

Beautiful!
Life can be so stubborn with us. It's a good thing :)

Margaret said...

A hardy soul I think, a born survivor fab photo, enjoy your blooms! Mx

Linda Jo said...

Never under estimate the power of water.... beautiful rose.

carole brungar said...

I think it's got something to do with the 'blah blah blah!" hahahaha x