Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Stamps, Stamps, Stamps

A few months ago, my mother sent me one of the most wonderful book/ journal/ scrapbook things I have ever seen.


Her very first stamp album.


She was a young teen when she started collecting.






The inside of the book has cardboard pages, lined with glasseine pockets.


Immediately I thought the album would be great for inchies, but I am afraid the fragile glasseine would tear from the bulky art.


Instead, I am starting to slip in the postage stamps I like or think a friend would like (or the ones I find later under my table, in a drawer,...) as I pour over and sort through the massive collection of postage my mother has sent me over the years.


This book will never be for sale in my etsy shop, but I always offer envelopes of old postage for purchase.


I love using postage stamps in my art, but I have more than I will ever be able to use by myself!




Currently I am offering vintage Christmas postage for sale.



In an appropriate envelope.



I also love the other kinds of stamps and am continually thinning out my collection.
This angel could be what you need for your Christmas cards or envelopes this year (and after Christmas-- she is timeless!)





I am also parting with some of my wooden handled stamps.

This is one from a box load I bought on ebay almost 2 years ago.

Some of wording on some of the stamps leads me to believe that they all came from a nuclear plant or research facility.

What could be more enticing or intriguing than mail art stamped, "CONFIDENTIAL"?
And the rubber stamp looks nice on display (even carelessly tossed aside on your work table).



7 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

i love your collection of wonderful stamps....the wooden stamp is great. Blessings. Mary Helen

Yvonne said...

What a wonderful treasure. I had a collection as a young child and lost it in a flood when I was in high school. Stamps my one day be a thing of the past the way things are going. I hope not.

Ashlyn said...

So nice of your mom to pass on her stamp album! So awesome! I’m passing the “Tell Me About Yourself” blog award to you! Please see my blog post and follow my lead…you can see it here: http://justmethroughwords.blogspot.com/2011/11/tell-me-about-yourself-award.html

Unknown said...

You have cool stuff :)

Linda Jo said...

Stamps!!!! You had me at "stamps"!

~*~Patty S said...

Your Mom knows what you like! What a wonderful book ... I am a stamp Lover both postage and rubber...in fact I have just such a book here somewhere from when I was a girl and we were living in Germany...it has the glassine shelves intended for postage stamps too
Maybe if I go looking for something else it will turn up...
oxo
p.s. your angel stamp certainly IS a beauty ... I've not seen that one before

Fielding said...

Great collection thanks for sharing Red Confidential Xstamper Stock Stamp