Thursday, January 21, 2010

American Pickers


It's rare that I am obsessed about a TV show. There were "Murphy Brown" and "Northern Exposure" in the '80s (I planned my week around them!) and more recently "CSI Las Vegas" and "Ghost Hunters". "American Pickers" is my latest obsession. It premiered this past Monday on the History channel. No, it's not about banjo players (puh-leeeeze!), nor is it about those who mine boogers (gross!). It's two guys in a big truck driving around the Iowa/ Illinois countryside looking for properties that look like salvage yards. They scout out great old rusted relics, and unique collectibles and convince the owners to part with the stuff for a little ca$h. They don't come in and offer to buy it all-- these guys are selective. They pick and choose. They know the market and their clients. And sometimes they just choose something by instinct. We all have our weaknesses for certain objects.
Why do I like this show?
First of all, I like junk. Second, I love the thrill of the hunt. That adrenaline rush when you spot that "treasure" among all of the "trash". Third, I love to hear stories about how other people have found their treasure. And fourth, I am surrounded with my own American Pickers playground. I live in the land of pack rats and many of these old folks aren't willing to part with a single item (even to their relatives) because it is theirs. They don't have 401ks or fat bank accounts. They have their stuff. And you never know when something will come in handy. I am hoping to pick up a few pointers from the show.
So if you are a treasure hunter and a pack rat, I highly recommend you tune in on Monday nights at 9eastern/8central or DVR it, like I do. History Channel. American Pickers. Life is too short to watch it all, do it all or have it all. Be selective. :)

14 comments:

Jeanie said...

Do not -- repeat, do NOT -- tempt me with more TV!

Malisa said...

I understand...I am already hooked on American Pickers too! Of course, they have more money to spend than I do, but the show is absolutely intriguing! It is set on TIVO for me!

Margaret said...

Norhtern Exposure!!! now that takes me back, I loved that programme!!
American Pickers sounds very you, great treasure photo, I love this stuff and what you do with it!

ooglebloops said...

I did see that show!! It is great - and they are doing what I would LOVE to do!!!! I am just amazed that in today's economy - they can actually sell that stuff they buy!!
We have the same thing out here, w/ older folks having houses crammed with goodies, and they won't part with it for any amount of money.
Hopefully, that won't be me in a few years!!LOL

Jeanie said...

Good Saturday Morning! There is a blog award awaiting you at The Marmelade Gypsy! Happy weekend!

BadPenny said...

ooh I love it when things tell a story. We have a reclaimation barn in the village full of wonderful old things & I love mooching around it

~*~Patty S said...

Sounds brilliant Nathalie, thanks for the info, I will definitely have to check it out!
Love your "stuff" picture!!!
We were big N Exposure fans and were so bummed when it ended!
Speaking of great shows, did you see Project Runway's Burlap Potato Sack challenge? Amazing!
Happy Weekend to ya!
oxo

Cobalt Violet said...

I too loved Northern Exposure! Thank you so much for the tip! I am going to definitely check out American Pickers!

Marlynn said...

And you're putting the rusty keys in your store, when? I looking for them. I'm obessed with Ghost Hunters and want to go to their Inn up North. hugs,

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's been awhile since I visited your blog and I've missed a bunch. This photo of "stuff" is delightful and well presented. I think we all hang on to "stuff" we know we'll use one of these days in that perfect art piece. Thanks for the information on "American Pickers." This sounds like a show I might obsess over.

Linda Jo said...

Ohhhh...gotta watch it!!! Thanks...I need MORE tv to dvr! I loved Northern Exposure... and MB!!

daysease said...

Oh, that totally sounds like a show I would hate to miss. Wish we could get it here in italy... Bummer. :-)

daysease said...

did you end off with their quote?? GREAT words to live by for a packrat to live by!! :-)

Keaton Interiors said...

I agree! Just finished my blog post about AP...actually found your blog while googling for photos :)

come read!
http://blueprintsofasouthernbelle.blogspot.com/2010/02/you-can-afford-to-be-picky.html